AmigaActive (1686/2143)

From:Eddie Moore
Date:24 May 2000 at 15:16:39
Subject:Re: CD-R Audio

Hello Simon!

On 20-Apr-00, Simon Preston wrote:

>> Mine's a little more humble, a Yamaha 2x2x6, but it's nearly two years old
>> now and it's given sterling service. I /could/ have waited for faster
>> drives to come along, but I wanted to buy there and then B-)

> I prefer slower drives. Burning audio at 2x is fine for me. Any faster and
> I believe it may hurt the audio a bit.

The 226 only burns audio at single-speed B-( It does it, however, very
successfully, so I can't complain too much.

>> Well, TBH, I
>> actually bought the drive because the Picasso II that I'd originally
>> intened to buy at WOA wasn't available, and I had a lot of spare cash
>> "burning" (pun intended!) a hole in my pocket...

> Ah well, no Picasso II. CD-R is logical alternative :)

Better than no alternative B-) Plus, I picked up a second-hand PII shortly
afterwards, so it was smiles all round B-)

>> Excellent! Nice to hear of a bit of creativity!

> mmm. Slowing down a bit though due to lack of inspiration. I am planning on
> releasing my own vinyl some time in the future - I'd be lucky!! :)

Well, parts of the process should be a lot easier than they were in the past,
what with the availablility of home recording decks, mixers and the like.

>> Best of luck.

> Still getting it though. :( Tried everything.

Bummer B-(

>> Obviously B-) I've dabbled with music-making on the Mig; I made my own
>> MIDI interface many years ago, using plans from one of the ST/Amiga Format
>> mags - they were offering a kit of parts, including a PCB, but I
>> transferred the basic design onto Veroboard, and the whole lot worked out
>> a lot cheaper that way B-)

> I just bought a Hisoft one from Epic. No probs so far :)

They're a lot better if they work properly, aren't they ?

>> I bought a small Yamaha MIDI k/b, and later on
>> came across a Roland MT32 at a price too good to miss.

> Hmm, if I had the money I would have a Yamaha CS6x, Roland MC303, Novation
> Bass Station and Drumstation, a mixer (a decent one), a DAT recorder.
> That'll do for now. :)

I should think so, too. Eeh, when I were a lad, best I could manage was a
used Revox A77 B-) (Audio enthusiasts note - *A*77 - couldn't afford the
B77).

>> That little lot,
>> together with MusicX, kept me busy for a bit, then I bought a GVP Combo
>> board and all of a sudden the MIDI interface stopped working B-( I never
>> did get to the bottom of that one...

> :(

Indeed. And time, as always, is so short that I haven't got around to looking
at the problem in a long while...

> anyway, thats enough about my MIDI/Audio dreams for now! :)

Okay, back to the Mig B-)

Regards,
Eddie

email: eddie@4-moores.co.uk